UCSF provides state-of-the-art care to patients with lung cancer and cancer that has metastasized to the chest. Our pulmonologists evaluate patients who have lung nodules, lung masses or symptoms suggestive of lung cancer. We can help to determine whether a patient has lung cancer, to help to manage the symptoms associated with lung cancer, and to provide ongoing care after treatment for lung cancer.
Lung Cancer Screening
Screening with annual low dose CT scan of the chest in high risk individuals in one large randomized controlled trial (National Lung Screening Trial) was associated with a 20% decrease in lung cancer mortality and a 6.7% decrease in all-cause mortality. UCSF Medical Center offers a Lung Cancer Screening Program for qualified candidates. Please see the Lung Cancer Screening Program website or call 415-514-8787 for more information.
Advanced Bronchoscopic Procedures
UCSF Pulmonologists perform some of the most advanced bronchoscopic procedures that can be used to diagnose lung cancer, to determine the clinical stage, or to assist with treatment. These procedures include:
- Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS).
- Electromagnetic Navigation Guided Bronchoscopy.
- Stent Placement.
- Fiducial Marker placement to guide Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT).
UCSF pulmonologists work very closely with a team of Thoracic Surgeons, Thoracic Oncologists, and Thoracic Radiation Oncologists to offer the most advanced treatment possible.
Our Lung Cancer Pulmonologist Experts include:
- Lorriana Leard, MD –Specializing in Pulmonary Nodules, Lung Cancer Screening, and Advanced Bronchoscopic Procedures
- Steven Hays, MD - Specializing in Advanced Bronchoscopic Procedures
- Michelle Milic, MD – Specializing in Symptom Management
- Courtney Broaddus, MD - SFGH – Specializing in Mesothelioma and Lung Cancer
- Antonio Gomez, MD – Specializing in Advanced Bronchoscopic Procedures
- James Brown, MD - Specializing in VA lung nodule program
- Neil Trivedi, MD - Specializing in Advance Bronchoscopic Procedures
- George Caughey, MD – Specializing in Lung Cancer